You will be receiving the hide that is pictured.
- Style of Leather: Brain Tanned Elk
- Color: Smoke
- Square Feet: 25.2
- Dimensions (squared): 44" x 35"
- Thickness: 2 1/2-3 1/2 oz
- Temper: Soft
- Finish: Natural Matte
- Blemishes: Holes, dark spots, dark mark, score marks
This hide has been smoked...so it smells like it!!! THIS HIDE HAS EVERY CHARACTERISTIC OF A FULLY BRAIN TANNED HIDE.
- Advantages to smoking hides: brain tanned hides are the only hides, that once becoming wet then dry; will remain as soft as they were prior to becoming wet. Another way to look at this is: all other leathers become stiff, after going thru the wet/dry cycle, except brain tanned hides.
- When a hide is smoked, the non-water-soluble oil in the smoke bonds with the water-soluble oil in the soup, making all of it non-water-soluble. The smoke provides lubrication to the fingers within the hide, which is what keeps the leather soft.