This is for the Basic Stamping Set, great for personalizing your leather projects.
This set comes with the same tools as the Basic Seven Tool Set, minus the Swivel Knife. You will receive the tools shown above. Set includes:
6 basic stamping tools.
Preparing leather for Stamping:
- This leather stamping set, is only good for using on tooling leather [vegetable tanned (Veg Tanned) leather].
Tooling leather must be moistened with water in order to transfer the tooling pattern. The error most beginners make, is in not wetting the leather enough. Use a sponge, and wet the leather to get the moisture to the core of the leather. (Squeeze sponge lightly, just so it is not dripping; but do not wring it out - apply it in a circular motion). Use caution with thinner leather, doesn't require as much water.
More Important Notes:
- Another problem would be getting the leather too wet. You don't want the leather to get completely wet or soggy. Once your leather is wet, allow the top grain to dry slightly (wait till topgrain comes back to its natural color - then begin your design).
- As the topgrain drys, it may become necessary to re-wet the leather, especially for time consuming designs. Don't wait till the core is dry to do this, you will save a lot of time by keeping your leather at the proper moisture level.
- Strike your tool with a wooden, or plastic mallet. Using a metal-faced hammer will damage the tools.
- Work on a hard smooth surface.
- Use a glass or plastic cup to hold your water, a metal container could stain your leather.
- After stamping is all complete, you need to apply a finishing coat.